Questions About Repainting Terms

Post questions, preview your paints and have discussions regarding painting of FAIB's models.
justukabal

Questions About Repainting Terms

#1 Post by justukabal »

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks and respect for the beautiful models and repaints you've made and share to the FS world. It surely brought wonderful experiences to many simmers out there.

I am currently in a process of completing a small project of AI repainting+Flightplan. I'm doing a complete AI Flightplan for a brand new Indonesian Airlines called "Batik Air". So far I haven't got one from any FS Community in the internet (while Batik Air is currently a "new boy in town"), so I've decided to make one.

Well, I'm not an experienced Flight Planner nor painter (in-fact this is my first time doing both, after watching hours of tutorials from the internet), but I tried to complete it as accurate as I could and now I've done the whole Flight Plan for "Batik Air" (as of Summer-Winter 2013). Since Batik Air currently owned and used 4 brand new Boeing 737-900ER, and as FAIB model for this particular plane is the best available AI model so far, so I did a repaint for Batik Air's 4 737-900ERs each with different registration number according to the real life ones.

Now I have finished the FSX version (as I only owned FSX) and will do the FS9 soon (eventhough I wasn't sure how to test them as I don't have FS9). I know my repaints are not really good due to my very limited skill of doing the repaint plus this is my first try, but at least it's not so bad for a beginner.

My questions:
  • Since I want to share my humble projects to other simmers out there, I'm gonna have to upload it somewhere. And since I used FAIB 737-900ER paint kit to do the textures, so I thought I ought to ask permision first from you. I understand that uploading a model in a package which not belongs to me is not ethic, therefore I will only upload my textures, and other stuffs (.cfg, readme etc) and surely giving appropriate credit to FAIB. So, should I directly upload it to some big communities (such as AVSIM or FLIGHTSIM --> I prefer only those 2), or should I submit here first?

If it's required to be submitted here first before going out, can anybody please tell me where and how should I submit it here?

Can anybody please help me later check on my soon to finished FS9 version texture? I might be completing it within couple of days. My FSX textures are working fine so far.
I would appreciate if anybody can answer my stupid questions.

Thanks in advance....

Here are some pics of the repaints:
Here are some pics of the repaints
Here are some pics of the repaints
1.jpg (250.86 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (215.44 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
Here is the actual plane:
2302418.jpg
2302418.jpg (230.66 KiB) Viewed 6441 times

Kyle M
Beta Tester

Re: Questions About Repainting Terms

#2 Post by Kyle M »

You could upload it o Mediafire and maybe send me the link to download, I could check it for you, as well as the FS9 version.

It definitely looks great, but I'm already seeing several things you could fix.

Kyle

justukabal

#3 Post by justukabal »

Thanks for your reply Kyle,

Finally I can login back and have done my first Repaints (both FSX&FS9) & Flightplans for Batik Air.

This is the REPAINTS link on Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n1522 ... 39_btk.zip

And this is the FLIGHTPLAN link on Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/608t3 ... ik_Air.zip

I've done also the Voicepack for callsign (using EditVoicepack X) though, but still wondering how to upload it (packaged and upload it).

I would appreciate if you could give me feedback on how should I improve the work.

Many Thanks,

Sukidi

Kyle M
Beta Tester

#4 Post by Kyle M »

Hey Sukidi, several things here.

BIG thing here: I can tell that the tail and winglets are photopasted. That is definitely the worst thing you could do, especially when dealing with an HD paintkit. I'd suggest taking what you already have there, and tracing the patterns out with paths. I know that would be incredibly time consuming, but the end result will be immensely better.

1. Looks like you have multiple layers activated here whereas the only layer that needs to be activated is the one that corresponds to how the aircraft look in real life.
2. Don't forget to paint the lights at the bottom of the winglets. See: http://i.imgur.com/z9nL6Yr.png
3. Extra windows.
4. Batik "B" logo should be smaller and moved to the left and down. Also fix the stenciling here. Make sure it looks exactly like it does in pictures.
5. The stencils are wrong here. Check pictures.
6. Big Batik logo should be moved down.
7. Compare this stencil to the one in pictures. The line should be lowered.
8. Check pictures. Door edge tape needs to be raised here.
9. Weather vane needs to be darkened. Check pictures.
10. Boeing 737-900ER titles need to be smaller. Look at it in relation to the door.
11. Activate Misc domes on alpha.

I'm sure there a more mistakes. I just pointed out the biggest. Just take your time and make sure the paint matches the one in real life EXACTLY. Painting aircraft is not a race! I didn't check alphas, lightmaps or the FS9 paint. Just fix these issues first and double check your paint as a whole.

Thanks

Kyle

justukabal

#5 Post by justukabal »

Wow, thanks a lot for pointing out the flaws Kyle.

It surely helps me out fixing the paints.

I'll begin with the small flaws first (1-11) and slowly will recreate the winglets and tail motive.

I'll post the first finished improvement (1-11) here for you to check again (if you don't mind), then maybe the fixed winglets and tail motives sometimes in the future once it's done.

Thanks again Kyle...

Kyle M
Beta Tester

#6 Post by Kyle M »

justukabal wrote:Wow, thanks a lot for pointing out the flaws Kyle.

It surely helps me out fixing the paints.

I'll begin with the small flaws first (1-11) and slowly will recreate the winglets and tail motive.

I'll post the first finished improvement (1-11) here for you to check again (if you don't mind), then maybe the fixed winglets and tail motives sometimes in the future once it's done.

Thanks again Kyle...
Keep in mind that there might be more than 11 mistakes. Just look a pictures and compare.

justukabal

#7 Post by justukabal »

Hi Kyle,

I've finally managed to login. It seems that there were frequent login problems occured in the forum.
Anyway, I've finished all of the fixes pointed earlier (1-11) for the FSX version. Also I have repaint the tail, belly and winglet motives (it ain't so great as I'm not really good with it, but definetily looks better than the previous as what you've said).

Here's the picture:
My Repaint
My Repaint
8.jpg (113.44 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
The Real Aircraft
The Real Aircraft
6.jpg (138.4 KiB) Viewed 6323 times
And here's the link to the updated one:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gnf88 ... 39_btk.zip

I would really appreciate if you can test it and point me more flaws to be fixed.

Many Thanks

Sukidi