732 FS9 repaints Issue

Post questions, preview your paints and have discussions regarding painting of FAIB's models.
atco
Beta Tester

732 FS9 repaints Issue

#1 Post by atco »

Hi Erez,

Just installing your repaints from the -200 series.
I noticed that in your FS9 repaints the day textures in DXT3 format are missing Alpha channels.
This causes big problems in FS9 with stuttering, infact there is a large thread about the whole issue at AIG after I discovered this phenomenon by accident some years back.

Simply re-saving the texture in DXTBMP resets the Alpha flag within the texture and all is well again.
Just thought you may like to know. No issues seen in the new Classic series, although I did notice that the Always on file that goes into the FSX texture directory was in DXT5 and that was missing its Alpha as well. DXT5 like DXT3 requires an Alpha to be present. Again resaving in DXTBMP cures this.

Regards
Garry

ewerber
Site Admin

Re: 732 FS9 repaints Issue

#2 Post by ewerber »

Hi Gerry, the classics "Always_on" files have a colorkey alpha channel which is sufficient.

The -200 FS9 paints are indeed missing an alpha channel, I solved this issue with the paint kit for the classics.

The best solution is as you proposed to use DXTBMP to enable the entirely white alpha channel for the -200 fs9 models.

atco
Beta Tester

Re: 732 FS9 repaints Issue

#3 Post by atco »

Hmmm I could have sworn the 300 had no alpha, the rest as you say are colorkey which is of course fine. I was sure one of the model base packs had a missing alpha on this texture. i'll have to check.