Winglets texture resolution in FS9

Post questions, preview your paints and have discussions regarding painting of FAIB's models.
Swag

Winglets texture resolution in FS9

#1 Post by Swag »

Hi!

First of all thanks for releasing such a brilliant new model range as freeware! Much appreciated!

With the new 737 classics come wingletted models, such as the Southwest B737-300W. See the attached file for what it looks like in my sim. FS9 with a DXT3 texture.

I think it's due to the small size of the winglet on the bitmap. The 32bit texture looks very blurry already but the DXT compression algorithm really finishes it off, quality wise.

That's a real shame as it's such a nice model. :(
Attachments
zoom_dxt3.jpg
zoom_dxt3.jpg (50.16 KiB) Viewed 9121 times

ewerber
Site Admin

Re: Winglets texture resolution in FS9

#2 Post by ewerber »

The reason for this is the need to keep the same texture mapping pixel per cm resolution as the wings so it would be possible
to connect both textures properly while they don't rest near each other physically on the texture and other texture space constraints.

I am afraid it is not possible to change this, the DXT compression also has a hard time with the SW winglets on the FSX paints.

This might be improved in the NG's but that is not likely as there isn't much space on the texture to increase the winglets resolution.

For FS9 the best solution I can think of is to use 32bit textures.

Swag

#3 Post by Swag »

Alright, I see.

Thanks for the explanation!

Swag

#4 Post by Swag »

Hi there,

thank you very very much for the most excellent NG series and for increasing the size of the winglets!! :)

scandic

#5 Post by scandic »

Hi Erez,

now, you have found a perfect solution for this "blurry winglet" problem and it works on 737/738, may I ask if you will think about to adopt this to the 733/734/735 as well ... if the technology used allow this? Thanks in advance.

ewerber
Site Admin

#6 Post by ewerber »

Its not a technology its simply knowing there was a problem and allocating more space for the winglets on the NG's textures, If I were to change the Classics in this way it would invalidate every winglet paint that was made for the classics until now.

scandic

#7 Post by scandic »

Ok, I know it's not a technology, but I didn't remember the correct term for that :) So as I understand you, it is possible to update the model/paintkit in order to eliminate the blurry winglet. You're right, that needs a re-done of all paints, but I think it's definitely worth. But it is up to you and the painting crew to do the five paints again :) . From my perspective this would be very much appreciated by the community.

ewerber
Site Admin

#8 Post by ewerber »

Unfortunately this will make things very complicated both for painters and simmers who wish to install the models so at the moment such update is not planned.