735 BMI Baby

Post questions, preview your paints and have discussions regarding painting of FAIB's models.
hermit

735 BMI Baby

#1 Post by hermit »

Heads up as I haven't seen it posted anywhere - the FS9 735 BMI Baby upload on avsim contains only FSX textures. The filename has an _fsx suffix so perhaps avsim have associated the entry with the wrong file.

The FSX upload is OK.

John.

SteveLewis

Re: 735 BMI Baby

#2 Post by SteveLewis »

Yeah, guys. Can someone "fix" this? Those large textures (2048x2048) aren't so FS9 friendly. I'm not sure how to "down size" those textures for my sim.

Also, in the Aircraft.cfg, both aircraft show texture.BMIbaby NC 3D. G_BVZE should be texture.BMIbaby NC.

Steve

ewerber
Site Admin

#3 Post by ewerber »

I'll check with Juergen.

M-Sauce
Beta Tester

#4 Post by M-Sauce »

SteveLewis wrote:Yeah, guys. Can someone "fix" this? Those large textures (2048x2048) aren't so FS9 friendly. I'm not sure how to "down size" those textures for my sim.

Also, in the Aircraft.cfg, both aircraft show texture.BMIbaby NC 3D. G_BVZE should be texture.BMIbaby NC.

Steve
It is not that hard Steve. Just open the texture with DXTBMP and export to your paint program, even MS Paint will do for re-sizing. Also make sure you export or save the alpha channel.

Now, shrink the texture you exported to the paint program by 50%, or if using pixels, 1024 (make sure to keep aspect ratio). Then save as a TGA or Bitmap. Now open the same saved texture in DXTBMP and import the Alpha channel you saved earlier. Then save the texture in the appropriate format (DXT3 in FS9, DXT5 in FSX). If you use Mips, make sure and select that on the right hand side of DXTBMP before saving the file.

But I do agree, needs to be fixed in order to avoid this extra work.

SteveLewis

#5 Post by SteveLewis »

Thanks. First changed them to 32 bit then I used Photoshop to change them to 1024 x 1024 and saved them as 32-bit bmp textures. Then I converted to DXT3 with MIPS for the _T texture. Easy as pie. (Well, I can't make pie so it's actually easier than that.)

ewerber
Site Admin

#6 Post by ewerber »

It is still not optimal as just resizing the FSX paint to FS9 will introduce artifacts at the seems of the fuselage, that is why I provided an actual FS9 PK with the classics.
I contacted Juergen and hope we will have a native FS9 version from him uploaded soon.

hermit

#7 Post by hermit »

Seems they cease ops tomorrow so please ignore this now.

ewerber
Site Admin

#8 Post by ewerber »

For those who like retro or to keep bmi active JB has updated the FS9 BMI 735 package, I have updated the link on the site.