Day & Night Texture Change

Post here if you have any general questions.
ryan78

Day & Night Texture Change

#1 Post by ryan78 »

Wasn't quite sure how to title this thread but here's my question.

I love FAIB models but i always have the same issue when FSX turns to night time. For some reason the daytime textures are like normal how i painted them but when it gets dark i notice the logolights come on but for some reason the textures get really dark and hard to see when the logolights are not on.

Any idea how to fix it, Im running FSX with SP1 and SP2. The same thing happens on all models I've painted on, 732,737 & 738.

Thanks for any help!!

ewerber
Site Admin

Re: Day & Night Texture Change

#2 Post by ewerber »

This was a necessary evil back when I first began experimenting with making FSX AI models, since then I have found a lot of interesting things and whats causing this darker texture during dawn/dusk might not be needed anymore.

You will know the Airbus's are close to release because I am planing a SP2 for the Classic and NG's before the Bus release.
There are various fixes for the 737 and if I can improve this it will be in that SP.

EDIT: just checked the issue a bit further and turns out it was not what I thought it was. This issue is due to the way the night lighting in multiply mode is handled in FSX, when Dusk kicks in FSX will automatically blend the lightmap using multiplication which will make the model appear darker, this is an FSX behavior and cannot be changed.
Other FSX models specifically UI models was the Additive mode and while it handles the dusk situation better it has draw backs in other areas namely ease of use, as a result the night illumination is unlikely to change.

ryan78

Re: Day & Night Texture Change

#3 Post by ryan78 »

ewerber wrote:This was a necessary evil back when I first began experimenting with making FSX AI models, since then I have found a lot of interesting things and whats causing this darker texture during dawn/dusk might not be needed anymore.

You will know the Airbus's are close to release because I am planing a SP2 for the Classic and NG's before the Bus release.
There are various fixes for the 737 and if I can improve this it will be in that SP.

EDIT: just checked the issue a bit further and turns out it was not what I thought it was. This issue is due to the way the night lighting in multiply mode is handled in FSX, when Dusk kicks in FSX will automatically blend the lightmap using multiplication which will make the model appear darker, this is an FSX behavior and cannot be changed.
Other FSX models specifically UI models was the Additive mode and while it handles the dusk situation better it has draw backs in other areas namely ease of use, as a result the night illumination is unlikely to change.
Okay thanks, i guess ill have to just deal with it then. Can't wait for the Airbuses!