Southwest 737w textures showing black

Post here if you have any general questions.
Bigmack

Southwest 737w textures showing black

#1 Post by Bigmack »

I'm experiencing issue with the Southwest FSX package where some of the 737-700w textures are not showing up correctly. They show black.
I looked thru the individual folders and some have .dds textures and some have .bmp textures. Not sure if that's the problem.
Thanks for any help

Bill M

The_Lifehouse

Re: Southwest 737w textures showing black

#2 Post by The_Lifehouse »

I'm experiencing the same thing with the Air New Zealand A320s, are you sometimes seeing the textures render and shortly after they go back to being black. It's quite irritating!

Let's hope FAIB can find a fix for it :)

fsintegral

#3 Post by fsintegral »

Do you guys uses FS9 or FSX ?

DDS textures are meant for FSX ONLY, and therefore, MUST be used with the FSX so called models of the FAIB Boeing.

BMP textures on the other hand are a lot more complex. They were the format used on FS9 BUT FSX can read them too. And now it becomes really tricky : You can have two Bitmap (BMP) files for the very same textures with the same name, BUT containing very different images (the drawing to be smashed on the model, this to render the livery on the model in your sim)
An FS9 dedicated texture will be 1024 x 1024 pixels sized and therefore can be used on the FS9 model in FS9.
An FSX dedicated texture will be 2048 x 2048 pixels sized and therefore MUST be used on the FSX model in FSX. The FSX texture will NOT work on the FS9 model.

That's why, I invite both of you to recheck :
1) What is your Simulator Version ?
2) To reload the corresponding base package zip (FS9 or FSX ?) files (Redownload the correct one if required) and make sure you've installed the correct models.
3) To reload your Southwest repaint zip archive, load the readme inside and make sure you've installed the right textures for your simulator.
^^ ie : FS9 models AND textures for FS9 - FSX models AND textures for FSX.

However, I didn't installed the Southwest package myself, so I can't be sure wether it's a model/Flightsim mismatch installation as I stated above, or a painter error (messing up versions/wrong selected file format upon saving) or a file format error (corrupted texture or zip file)

What is important to remember is, in MOST of issues like this, it's a version mismatch (FS9 model installed on FSX, FSX textures used on an FS9 model) so don't be disappointed this kind of issue usually don't get much support or answers. This kind of issue is so well documented anywhere, and regular forum members are starting to get fed up of repeating the same explanation.
That's not an attack, it's plain honest explanation ;) By the way, I don't know what kind of knowledge you have about textures format, FS related versions, wether you know how to load a texture in Imagetool (the quickest way to make sure you used the correct texture format and size for the corresponding version of your sim, and checking alpha channell aswell) All those are documented on many websites/forums out there.

Usually, textures packages are released after a rough beta test. This doesn't always clear the release of some errors or fails, but usually, you get fixes pretty quickly. So another advice : check wether the package has been updated (fixed) and/or try to redownload it.

Have nice flight.

The_Lifehouse

#4 Post by The_Lifehouse »

Hi FSintegral

I'm running FSX with Acceleration on Windows 7 64 Bit and I've check the aircraft configs and texture folders, they're fine from as far as I can see. I've also tried reinstalling the models and textures and that doesn't fix it.

I'm starting to suspect the problem may have to with ATI video cards as of recently I had a problem showing certain colors in photoshop and the fix was to update my drivers (Currently up to date). I would like to know what video card BigMack is running as I'm running a ATI 7770.

Hopefully we can get this fixed, thanks for going into an in-depth detail for us.